Naming a Personal Guardian

Among the many gut-wrenching prospects that people face when drawing up their wills or trusts is the matter of who will care for their minor children in the event that one or both parents die before the children reach adulthood. This involves naming a guardian for minor children in the will or trust after consulting with potential candidates. Choosing the right guardian for your children can be one of the most important decisions parents will make. It may seem easy and natural to choose the child’s grandparents but age is an important consideration. Aunts, uncles, and other family members can be considered. Non-relatives who are friends of the parents might also agree to be a guardian. When a spouse dies and the surviving spouse remarries it may be important to name the new step-parent as the guardian if the surviving spouse dies. If you need assistance with setting up a will or trust with guardianship provisions, please call Pruitt Law Offices S.C. at 262-633-8301 for a free consultation. Our offices are located at 731 Main Street in Racine. We are your partners for professional service.